Reasons why Pressure Sensitive Labels Rule Pharmaceutical and Food Industries
Pressure-sensitive labels or PSLs are becoming more popular every year. Major B2B companies predict that the demand for PSLs will grow by 25 per cent by 2025. PSLs come with high-quality graphics and durable colors. They are being used by small and large businesses alike. Every entrepreneur needs to start considering pressure sensitive label technology for marketing and sales benefits.
PSLs are self-adhesive labels made of five layers. They are easy to stick on to products and stay on longer than labels made from the old technology. Here is how a PSL works:
- The topmost layer is a protective coat on the label to prevent wear and tear on the label.
- The second layer is the face stock. This is what customers see. The actual top coat is often not visible. The second layer is what looks like the top layer. It has graphics, icons, barcode, text, directions of use, MRP, expiration date, and other important features.
- The third layer is the adhesive. It is right underneath the actual label.
- The fourth layer is a release liner that protects the adhesive. It can be pulled off easily right before sticking the label on the product.
- The fifth layer is the bottom liner holding it all together.
Yes, it is just like the stickers children use on their exercise books. The only difference is the grade of adhesive and ink used. Also, children’s stickers often have just three layers. The face, the adhesive, and the release liner. Both the adhesive and the ink on the label are way more durable than children’s stickers.
Advantages of PSLs
PSLs are more expensive than classic labels. So, why are more businesses switching to PSLs? Here are the reasons why:
- A pressure sensitive label is durable and can stick on any surface, including glass, plastic, rubber, wood, and metal.
- PSLs are resistant to tears and scratches. The label stays good as new even when the product is long bought and about to expire.
- PSLs are water-resistant.
- PSLs are flexible and can be put on any surface irrespective of curvature.
- PSLs can work with temporary as well as permanent adhesives. They are perfect for labels sealing a package and for labels that go on the bottle to stay.
PSLs endure warm, humid, and dusty environments without appearing dilapidated.
Application of PSLs
PSLs are not restricted to any industry. Anybody can use them. Here are some industries where PSLs are the most popular.
Medicine labels and hospital accessories need to have the text visible, without any scratches. Information about the expiration date, ingredients, and directions on medicine bottles or boxes are crucial.
Packaged Foods and Beverages
This is another industry where the label must last through the shelf life of the product.
Many industries that produce products in warm and humid environments use PSL to avoid label wear and tear even before it goes out in the market.
PSLs save labelling costs when the relabeling prices are taken into account. They outlast other labels and are an investment. All small and large businesses that want to be taken seriously need to switch to pressure sensitive label technology. It is more professional and shows that the company cares about quality.
Comments are closed.